Rice and beans, day 11

What a week. It felt like at least three.

I know I'm not alone in this, and yet it seems odd. After all, we are all healthy. We have a comfortable place in which to shelter, with expansive views and some outdoor space. WriterMan and I can both work from home easily, and although our investments have taken a serious hit, we are not in any immediate financial difficulty. Our older kids are safe and secure where they are, as are our parents, siblings, and other family members, and we have many ways to connect with them.

On the surface, our week was normal, or possibly more relaxed than usual. After all, there was no commute, no Boy Scouts, no errands.

(We were already living like this, and the city of San Francisco joined us, by order of the Mayor who declared "shelter in place" effective 12:01 AM on Tuesday. On Thursday, that extended to all of California.)

And yet, I'm exhausted, and have been pretty much all week, despite getting plenty of sleep on paper.

Some of problem is that it's hard to talk about anything else. Our usual topics--what local site to visit on the weekend, or where to go on our next vacation--are currently painful, as we don't know when or even if normal activities and normal-to-us travel will resume.

None of us go anywhere or do anything, so it's hard to have fresh anecdotes to share.

Even the top topic of the year--where will Youngest Kid to go high school--is challenging, since we don't know what school will look like in the fall. Will things be back to normal, or will we be in rolling periods of shelter-in-place?

Today, I made the decision to cancel all my scheduled weekly Spanish lessons. My brain just can't cope with the extra burden of learning something right now outside of work. I'll pick them up again once things calm down or my coping abilities improve, whichever comes first.

In the meantime, I'm going to make a cup of tea, snuggle under a cozy blanket, and read the Inspector Gamache novel I have on loan (as an ebook) from the library.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rice and beans, day 31

Rice and beans, day 185

Rice and beans, day 86: Ten Things of Thankful edition