Rice and beans, day 31

There are a few pieces of good news, for which I am grateful.

The Inspector Gamache novel revived my interest in reading, although I'm definitely happiest staying on the lighter side of my usual reading range. Mystery novels, witches and vampires, and fairy-tale-esque fantasy novels? Yes, please. Novels about suffering in the real world? Rain check, please.

I spent the first week or so of quarantine bingeing TV shows, and reading feels much better.

While we're on the topic of reading, thank heavens for Kindles and the ability to borrow ebooks from the library.

We noticed hearts, peace symbols, and greetings on the windows of the buildings facing us half a block away, so Youngest Kid and I used pink sticky notes to post "HI" in the window facing them. Hopefully it brought a smile to someone's face.

(Photo of the view through a window, showing sticky notes forming I and H.) 


Due to my manager urging me to take Friday off, and church streaming the services because no one can attend in person, I was able to attend the Good Friday noon service, which I had never done before. I appreciated it even more because I haven't been feeling well and was not up to attending (even virtually) the evening service.

Our Instacart delivery which was not guaranteed until Monday, arrived on Thursday, so we will have ham, potatoes, and Grandma's lemon dessert for Easter dinner. The delivery also included several cans of enchilada sauce and some tortillas, so we can vary the flavor of our rice and beans a bit.

School has been officially declared virtual for the rest of the school year, removing one area of uncertainty. Other areas remain, of course. I laughed in sympathy at this sign, seen on my walk today:

(Photo of the sign outside the Golden Gate Spiritualist Church, which has a notice at the bottom of the side that reads "No services until")

Youngest Kid's school placement for next year is not wretched. Not great, but not wretched. And thanks to COVID-19, the school found a way for us to accept that spot and enter the next round of the placement lottery online, instead of having to go somewhere in person. (The original system was asinine, and I'm hoping they keep the online option even after the pandemic has passed.)

Our apartment building has started a Facebook group, giving us a way to communicate with others in our building. We had only met a few of our neighbors before this--the general vibe is cordial but aloof--and I appreciate the sharing of information and the occasional funny video.

When it started becoming clear that face masks were a good idea after all, I ordered some from an Etsy shop. We used them today on a walk, and I mostly figured out how to keep mine from fogging up my glasses. Mostly.

Our view. Most days, I can see both sunrise and sunset, and they remind me that there is much that is good and beautiful, even in a pandemic.

Comments

  1. I'm SO excited to see you here! :-) Thanks for linking up with the TToT! (Did I know you had started blogging again?) If I did, my memory is shot!
    So, how DO you keep your glasses from fogging up? The only way I have found is to inhale! Inhale=clear, exhale=fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memory is fine (or at least, this is not an example of it being shot). I didn't tell anyone I was blogging again. The trick to masks and glasses is for your glasses to sit on top of your mask. For me, this either means my glasses are uncomfortably far down on my nose or my mask is high enough it is uncomfortably close to my nose, but at least I am not a danger to myself and others, stumbling blindly down the street.

      Delete
  2. Now as I am just getting here to respond to posts, I am so excited to see you here too! I am also wondering if you mentioned this earlier today, when our phones were being bizarre and I couldn't hear you. Anyway, some of the questions I asked you were answered here. :-)

    Who knew that it would take a FB group to get neighbors speaking to one another!

    That sounds like a much better approach to the school placement. I think people will rebel if they have to return to the old way after this is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the TToT!
    As a bloghop, this is surely one of the most varied when it comes to posts... and geographically we have North America pretty much covered... (East Coast).
    Strange is the word I hear most frequently when describing our current times. (Not the worst word... implies a potential for fascinating with an option on 'ok, enough already'
    Have as good a week ahead as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rice and beans, day 185

Rice and beans, day 86: Ten Things of Thankful edition